English Instructor and Writing and Reading Center Consultant Mid Michigan Community College, Harrison and Mount Pleasant, Michigan
8/16 – Present
- Advise and work individually with students in the Harrison Writing and Reading Center.
- Teach English 110, an academic writing course focusing on critical reading and writing skills.
- Create a writing intensive classroom experience that’s simultaneously challenging and supportive.
Freelance Writer William Meiners Writing, LLC, Mount Pleasant, Michigan.
7/04 – Present
- Purdue Alumnus Magazine: written more than 40 feature articles, including 12 cover stories, for this publication delivered to some 38,000 Purdue alumni.
- DEMO Magazine: written several profiles for Columbia College Chicago’s alumni publication.
- Recruitment writer: written several viewbook recruitment publications for private schools and universities through Crane MetaMarketing.
Writer and Editor Central Michigan University, College of Education and Human Services, Mount Pleasant, Michigan.
6/13 – 1/15
- Worked closely with the dean and five department chairs to boost the college’s communication efforts. Wrote more than 20 faculty profiles, as well as several program, student, and alumni stories. Wrote a dozen press releases for university’s news service.
- Conceptualized a Life in Progress magazine series to share timely stories of faculty and student achievements within the college’s departments.
- Created copy and concept for a college-wide viewbook for student recruitment purposes. Conducted focus group with teacher education students.
Senior Project Editor Purdue University, Office of Marketing and Media, West Lafayette, Indiana.
3/99 – 6/13
- Purdue’s College of Engineering: Served as managing editor on 40 different engineering print publications. Conceptualized and produced seven annual research publications (Purdue’s Engineering Edge), highlighting Purdue’s cross-disciplinary efforts in the areas of nanotechnology, biomedical engineering, environmental engineering, homeland security, alternative energies, and the college’s eight signature areas. The fall 2005 version received a bronze medal from CASE V.
- Purdue Engineering Impact: a 2005 bronze medal winner from CASE V. Provided editorial lead on several school and departmental magazines, including Civil Engineering Impact, Construction Engineering and Management Impact, Mechanical Engineering Impact, and Nuclear Engineering Impact.
- HHS Life 360: Provided editorial lead for the College of Health and Human Sciences’ magazine.
- Purdue Alumnus and Gold and Black Illustrated: Have written articles on all of Purdue’s intercollegiate sports teams, along with several profiles and features.
- Web: Wrote profiles for Purdue’s Difference Makers and “5 Students Who…” websites.
- Extrapolations: Wrote two cover stories for this alumni magazine with a print run of 65,000.
- Provided concept and copy for billboards, fundraising letters, postcards, and posters.
Editor-in-Chief Sport Literate, Chicago, Illinois.
1/95 – Present
- Founder: created the nation’s lone literary journal exploring sports through creative nonfiction.
- Grant writer: received 18 consecutive awards from the Illinois Arts Council (IAC).
- Editor: worked with more than 150 contributors, including three IAC award winners.
- Business manager: managed more than $55,000 in grant monies.
- Mentor: Advised and managed student interns from Harvard University and Butler University.
Copywriter Macmillan Computer Publishing, Indianapolis, Indiana.
2/98 – 3/99
- Wrote cover copy for dozens of computer books in The Complete Idiot’s Guide
- Created cover copy for books in the best-selling Special Edition Using
- Produced marketing pieces for promotions at Barnes & Noble, CompUSA, and direct mailings.
- Purdue University Creative Writing MFA—2003
West Lafayette, Indiana
- Columbia College Creative Writing MFA—1996
- Indiana University Journalism BA—1992
College Pubs: “Piracy and Privacy in the Internet Age” (Purdue Alumnus,); “Credit Where Credit Was Due”—about the true designer of the Golden Gate Bridge (Extrapolations); “Nuclear’s Quiet Comeback” (Purdue’s Engineering Edge); “Put It on the Board… Yes!” (DEMO magazine); “Upward Mobility” (Mechanical Engineering Impact); “Learning in Year One” (Life 360); “Taking the Fight to Parkinson’s” (Purdue Alumnus).
Notable Interviews: Astronauts Guy Gardner, Janice Voss, and David Wolf; Leslie Geddes, National Medal of Technology winner; Olympic Gold Medalists David Boudia and Adolph Kiefer; Bob Peterson, Academy Award winner; Johnny Lattner, Heisman Trophy winner; New York Times sportswriter Robert Lipsyte; New England Patriot Matt Light; Emmy Award winning journalists Bob McNamara and Bob Sirott; Geling Yan, international bestselling novelist.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Gold winner of a 2013 Service Industry Advertising Awards for Life 360.
- Winner of a bronze medal from the CASE V Awards for Purdue’s Engineering Edge, fall 2005.
- Winner of a bronze medal and an honorable mention from CASE V for Impact.
- Eighteen-time recipient of a grant from the Illinois Arts Council — Sport Literate.
- Albert P. Weisman Memorial Scholarship winner — Sport Literate.
- Brian Mexicott Award for best original drama — Purdue’s 71st annual Literary Awards.
- Kneale Award winner for best graduate fiction — Purdue’s 72nd annual Literary Awards.
- A fall 2002 participant in Guideposts magazine writer’s workshop — one of 15 invited guests from more than 5,000 contestant entries.
- Created fundraising materials for Connections That Count, a service-learning organization.
- Provided pro bono editorial services for Lafayette Transitional Housing Center.
- Presented sessions on Sport Literate and creative nonfiction to two Chicago charter schools.
- Served as Interim Newsletter Editor for Black Cultural Center at Purdue.
- Captained a “Bowling for Kids’ Sake” team, part of the Big Brother Program.
References available upon request
Samples online at www.WilliamMeiners.com